Sivananda Yoga is a concept of Hatha Yoga founded by Swami Sivananda and brought to the west by Swami Vishnu-devananda. The training focuses on preserving the health and wellness of the practitioner.
This type of yoga is suited for everyone, the class can be very gentle but also more challenging, depending on your needs and fitness. This is a real experience of ancient Yoga that will bring you a sense of relaxed well being and refreshment.
This is 75-minute basic Sivananda Yoga class which starts with an initial relaxation session, Pranayama (breathing exercises), continues with Sun Salutations (warm up), followed by a series of basic Asanas (plus variations, depending of the level of the class), and ends with Savasana (final deep relaxation).
The Yoga postures (Asanas) and the breathing exercises (Pranayama) have a meditative effect and serve to harmonize body and mind.
Yoga helps preserve the vitality of the body and decrease the chance of diseases, by simply and naturally cultivating the body.
The Sivananda philosophy is summarized in five main principles:
- Proper exercise: Asanas
- Proper breathing: Pranayama
- Proper relaxation: Savasana
- Proper diet: Vegetarian
- Positive thinking and meditation
To ensure the most comfortable and pleasant experience here are some guidelines to follow:
- Please turn off your mobile phone before the lesson
- Please let your instructor know if you have any injuries, serious health conditions, recent surgeries, high blood pressure, pregnancy, etc. that might require modification of some of the practice
- Possibly do not eat for at least two hours before the class begins
- Drink enough water before and (if it’s necessary) during the class
WHAT TO BRING
We suggest you to wear comfortable clothes that will allow free movement and breath. We provide the mats. Although, for hygienic reasons, you may wish to bring your own yoga mat or a large towel to cover ours.